Discover the channels that drive the sales of your best and worst sellers
This is one immediately useful topic that you can invest your time and get a true payback.
Start by getting Google Analytics dimensions “Source and Medium” and eCommerce “products” for the past year into an Excel Spreadsheet.
This will show you:
- For each product, which channel performs better
- For each channel, which products perform better
You can fix the broken combinations, drop the losers, and invest in the ones that work.
Consider dividing your analysis into three areas:
In addition to the Traffic Source/Medium and Product Combination, there’s a Time aspect to consider.
- Annual -> useful for budgeting and forecasting.
- Monthlys -> show detailed trends, peaks, and valleys. If you like what you see, do what you did again. If you didn’t, don’t do that again.
- Recent month -> shows if your efforts from last month worked or not.
The three areas are illustrated on the sample spreadsheet, below.
What Kind of Decisions Are You Going to Make
This data lets you make decisions about where you should spend your time and budget. Because it is very specific, it will have a direct impact on the business.
- Learn the top performing combinations.
- If a channel is doing better overall, then invest more in that area (and stop wasting your time and money on the losers), or
- Look at the annual totals for top product/channels, to add similar products to the combination that’s working well
- Look for patterns and outliers in the 12 month pattern and consider special promotional activities in anticipation
- Stop promoting products in a channel that don’t do well in that channel (or fix the problem, if it’s a marketing problem).
- Channel performance, for reporting, budgeting and forecasting marketing spend.
- Products performance, for product planning in terms of sales, trends, and outliers.
These are all very specific things you can do to get a better return on the investment of your time and budget.
This is the data you need to spend your time and money wisely.
You could build this report with the free Google Analytics Custom Reporting.
I didn’t write this post as a pitch for NEXT Analytics. But if you are a customer or wish to start a free trial, you can download this free spreadsheet. If you would like a copy of this free spreadsheet, click here: TopRankingChannelsAndProducts or the following button:
Whatever method you choose, in minutes, you will be able to analyze your own products and channels.